Friday, January 8, 2010

Curried Vegetables


Curried Vegetables
recipe courtesy of Andrea Simmons

2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Onion Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
4 Medium Tomatoes Diced
1/4 Head of Cabbage (red or white) Sliced
1 Carrot Sliced
4 oz Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Red Pepper Chopped
1/2 C Chicken Broth*
2 tsp Curry Powder*
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes. Then add tomatoes and cabbage. Add the rest of the vegetables putting in first the vegetables that take longer to cook (i.e. carrots). Let simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken broth. Stir in curry power and salt and pepper tasting often to get the desired flavor. Cover and simmer for a few minutes until vegetables are done. Serve over rice or couscous.

Makes 6 Servings

I got this recipe from Brian's co-worker and there was never a real set recipe, so I tried to approximate what I usually do. I always use onion, garlic and tomatoes in this recipe but for the other veggies I usually just add what I have on hand. All of the amounts can be changed depending on what you have and what your family likes. This is a great recipe for experimenting. We often eat this with chicken (I just dice the amount of chicken I want and brown it first in the skillet and then add it after all the veggies).

*The amount of chicken broth varies depending on what vegetables you use. Often times I don't need any chicken broth. Just add it to make the consistency you want.

*I really am not sure how much curry powder I use. I just add a little and then let it simmer and then taste it until I get the flavor I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment